Monday 24 January 2011

A Hectic Week.

Goodness! It's only Monday and the Weston household is exhausted! I'd forgotten how demanding toddlers can be; Romilly is very clingy and wingey at the moment, especially at tea-time when I am tying to cook. Romilly always wants food and wants it NOW! She's also still waking in the night for milk which is REALLY frustrating. If we stand firm and try to settle her without, she'll scream for hours and we just can't do it and go out to work the next day so I'm probably defying every baby manual ever written and just going with the flow. I'm guessing she'll give up wanting milk at 3 am at some point (I'm just hoping it's sooner rather than later)!

On a positive note, Marcus' sleep has dramatically improved. After 4 years of waking numerous times in the night he's even managing to sleep right through the night WITHOUT his sleeping drug, which is a huge step. Marcus slept the first 2 years of his life away, I just don't think he had the energy to stay awake for long. However, when we weaned him off his 20hour jejunal tube feeds, he would only take milk when he was relaxed and sleepy and this lead in turn to nocturnal feeding habits which persisted for about four years.

Marcus has been very enthusiastic about his eating this week. He's sat with us at every meal and I'm certain that slightly larger morsels of food are passing his lips. I am especially impressed by his love of carrot cake. He loves to lick the icing off (then I finish the cake off).

We finally took Joely to get her ears pierced yesterday. Our eldest daughter is such a good girl and such a help to me and this is a small reward for her. She often gets Marcus dressed for me in the morning and she is always willing to fetch and carry when required. We almost always have to place Marcus at the heart of any decisions we make for the family: holidays, days out and other activities. Joely always seems to accept these with understanding and without question. Growing up with a disabled sibling certainly has made Joely a very mature and sensitive young girl and I am so proud of her. Romilly seems to be following her big sister's lead and she has begun to 'help' me change Marcus' nappies and likes to wash her big brother's face and smother him with kisses. However, when Marcus reciprocates with a big heart-warming bear-hug, she moves like lightning to avoid his clutches.

Life is always hectic but never boring in the Weston household. At the moment, the children are all tucked up in bed; my favourite time of day when Gary and I can finally enjoy a hot cup of tea and chat about our day without interuption : )

No comments:

Post a Comment