Tuesday 9 January 2007

MARCUS' STORY: August 06 - January 07

At the end of August 2006, something amazing happened! I had been drinking water for a while but I started drinking my own milk. Mummy watched a programme about a feeding clinic in Austria where they weaned tube fed children onto eating orally by doing controlled starvation. She tried stopping my feed for a little longer in the day but without much success. I just didn't understand hunger and Mummy was too frightened that I'd dehydrate or lose too much weight. Anyway, In August we went to Worcester to see Nanny and stayed with Auntie Judy for the weekend. I was really sick all weekend and Mummy left my feed off for 2 days and just let me drink water. When we came home, Mummy tried giving me some of my milk (I was back on the milk free stuff at this point to try to stop the vomiting) and I drank 2oz! Mummy kept giving me the milk from a beaker and I kept drinking it! I lost A LOT of weight. I weighed about 22lb at that point and my weight dropped to 19lbs. I looked thin again. Mummy phoned Dr Bunn and she guided me through the process. Mummy also e-mailed the professor in Austria a few times who told her what happened when she weaned children in her clinic. this gave mummy the confidence to continue even when I lost the weight.

It was such a stressful time for the family but I had never felt better. I stopped being sick all the time and I knew at last what it felt like to be hungry and full up. I got the hang of drinking milk very quickly though I'd forgotten how to eat solids. I panicked whenever I had solid food in my mouth and screamed. I still do. I like licking food like bananas, bread, rucks and crisps but I get really cross if I get a lump in my mouth.

Since I came off my tube feed, I've started making lots of noise, I've learnt how to communicate using sounds and Makaton - a kind of sign language. I can sit on my own for a long time and I can ride in my little car. I sign car when I want to play on it and someone gets it for me. I don't like Joely taking my toys off me and I shout at her. I like lights and I sign light when I want someone to turn them on and off for me. I enjoy music very much and I go to a music group with Mummy and Joely every other Tuesday. I like drinking my milk at night time and waking everyone up with a loud cry when I'm hungry! I love nursery and my portage worker, Michelle. Daddy really makes me smile and I have just learnt to say Dada. I love Mummy and hate it when she's busy and can't pick me up. Life is good at the moment and I've never been so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment