Tuesday 9 January 2007

MARCUS' STORY: May - October 2005

We all loved being at home again together but life was far from easy. I was having about 800mls of milk a day through my j-tube but I still wasn't growing. I had to be medicated 4 times a day with my reflux drugs: domperidone and ranitidine; and a rotation of three different antibiotics. I ate and drank nothing orally and my development was so delayed. I spent most of the day lying on my playmat, looking at my toys, connected to my drip stand and milk pump for 22 hours per day. We had a lovely summer together as a family, enjoying days out at the coast and visiting family but Mummy and Daddy were still so worried about my slowgrowth and development delay. I was still so thin and weak and slept so much.

By September, I was still only 11lb but I started to eat solids! This was such an exciting time. I didn't like drinking but I ate small amounts of pureed vegetables and enjoyed it. I prefered savoury flavours and didn't like yoghurt.

In October we were readmitted to the RVI for PN because I was still so skinny. However, my dietician, Shirley, had an idea. She took me off the milk free formula and tried me on Paediasure. It was brilliant!! I grew!!

No comments:

Post a Comment